Best viewed in
is a village in the Scottish council area of the Highland.
Achany Glen occupies the valley of the River Shin between Loch
Shin and the River Oykell. At the Shin Falls to the north of
Inveran, salmon can be watched swimming in the pool below the
falls from an observation platform.
Within the Glen are the Falls
of Shin known for its dramatic waterfalls and the famous,
natural Atlantic Salmon Leap.
Achany House, a
Munro family seat situated at the centre of the glen, dates from
c.1810. The house, with
its white harling and round corner turrets gives the impression
of being older. Originally a seat of the
the house and surrounding estate were bought in 1840 by the
Sir James Matheson
(1796 - 1878) who extended the property by adding the two bayed
wings containing the elegant drawing room and dining room. The
original two stories were raised to three by
nephew and heir in 1878, and he also added the corner turrets
over the bays. A further extension to the rear dates from 1885.
family home until 1948 when it was sold to the Ministry of
Agriculture to serve as an Agricultural College. It became a
hotel but later returned to private ownership.