Best viewed in
O Little Town of Bethlehem
The lyrics for “O Little Town of Bethlehem” was written by Phillips Brooks (1835–1893) an Episcopal priest, then rector of Church of the Holy Trinity, Philadelphia and later of Trinity Church, Boston.
In 1865, the year the Civil War ended and President Lincoln was assassinated, themes of peace and quiet would probably have been welcome to Americans. In that year, the Rev. Phillips Brooks took a trip to Israel and saw Bethlehem and its surrounding fields on Christmas Eve in 1865, which eventually inspired him to write this Christmas hymn. In contrast to some other Christmas hymns that emphasize the glory of God as seen in the grand chorus of angels, Brooks focuses on the quietness of Christ’s birth, and how little the larger world paid attention. The final stanza is a prayer that Christ would come and be present with us.
Three years later, he wrote the poem for his Sunday school, and his organist Lewis Redner (1831-1908) added the music. Redner's tune, simply titled "St. Louis", is the tune used most often for this carol in the United States.
In the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, and sometimes in the U.S. (especially in the Episcopal Church), the English hymn tune "Forest Green" is used instead. "Forest Green" was adapted by Ralph Vaughan Williams from an English folk ballad called "The Ploughboy's Dream" which he had collected from a Mr. Garman of Forest Green, Surrey in 1903.
Lyrics by Philips Brooks