Best viewed in
Internet Explorer

Music (PDF)

Music (BMW)

Back to

Updated 03/07/2017



Donaghclony  (from Irish: Domhnach Cluana, meaning "church of the meadow") is a small village, townland (of 300 acres) and civil parish in County Down, Northern Ireland. It lies on the River Lagan between Lurgan and Dromore.  Donaghcloney is a typical Ulster village linked to the Irish linen industry since 1742.

The village has a history of cricket playing over many generations with the Donaghcloney Cricket Club.  The club was founded by the Liddell family, proprietors of the William Liddell & Co. linen factory.

The tune was composed by B.W. Dargan.  Dargan was P/M of the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers from 1954 to 1957 when he died, age approx. 38 years.  The Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's) was an Irish line infantry regiment of the British Army, formed by the amalgamation of the 87th (Prince of Wales's Irish) Regiment of Foot and the 89th (The Princess Victoria's) Regiment of Foot in 1881. Between the time of its formation and Irish independence, it was one of eight Irish regiments.  The regiment was deployed to Korea in July 1954 for service in the Korean War and to Kenya in January 1955 in response to the Mau Mau Uprising.  It went to Harding Barracks in Wuppertal in June 1956 and deployed to Libya in August 1958 before moving to Trenchard Barracks in Celle in October 1961. In 1968 the Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's) was amalgamated with the other regiments of the North Irish Brigade, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the Royal Ulster Rifles to become the Royal Irish Rangers.