The 1st Dumbartonshire Rifle Volunteers later the 9th (Dumbartonshire)
Btn, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders was an infantry later
artillery unit of Britain's part-time force, the Territorial
Army. Dunbartonshire is in the west central Lowlands of Scotland
lying to the north of the River Clyde. Dunbartonshire borders
Perthshire to the north, Stirlingshire to the east, Lanarkshire
and Renfrewshire to the south, and Argyllshire to the west.
In 1793, much before the first rifle volunteer corps of
Dumbartonshire were formed, the county managed many local units
which included; Dumbartonshire Fencibles, Dumbartonshire
Fencible Cavalry (later the Dumbartonshire Yeomanry Cavalry),
Stirling, Dumbarton, Clackmannan and Kinross Militia, as well as
many local militias.
The battalion was officially formed in 1860 as a battalion and
later consolidated as a corps in 1880 before being transferred
to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. In 1938 the battalion
was transferred to the Royal Artillery, served in World War II,
and was later absorbed into the 402nd (Argyll and Sutherland
Highlanders) Light Regiment, Royal Artillery. Although the
regiment and battalion lineage was ended in 1955, the location
of the original unit and highland links were continued through
102 (Clyde) Field Squadron, Royal Engineers.