Best viewed in
Internet Explorer

Music (PDF)

Music (BMW)

Back to

Updated 05/18/2018


Faskally House

The name ‘Faskally’ is derived from the Gaelic and means ‘Stance by the Ferry’. It is probable that a small ferry over the River Tummell, just after it had been joined by the River Garry, would have operated from here in previous centuries to complement the one at Port na Craig, three miles downstream.

Old Faskally House is described in the Historic Scotland listing as “probably late 18th century” but is thought to have parts which date back to the 16th century. It was once the property of Archibald Edward Butter but became a training school for the Forestry Commission in the 1950s and then a government-run freshwater fisheries laboratory. It now serves as Christian youth center.

It is also home to Faskally Forest, also known as Faskally Woods, built by Butter in 1953. It is one of the early forest lands of Perthshire Big Tree County.