Best viewed in
Internet Explorer

Music (PDF)

Music (BMW)

Back to

Updated 06/01/2020


Glasgow Gaelic Club

The Glasgow Gaelic Club was established on March 7, 1780 with a charter from the Highland Society of London, which among other privileges conferred on them the power of awarding the annual prizes given by the Society at the Tryst of Falkirk for the encouragement of bagpipe music. The Gaelic Club annually proceeded to adjudge the valuable medal appropriate for the best pibroch.

The original qualifications for becoming a member was that the individual should be a Highlander, either by birth or connection. Another requisite was that he should be able to speak the Erse, or be the descendant of Highland parents, the possessor of landed property in the Highlands, or an officer in a Scots or Highland regiment.  It was a law that the Club should meet on the first Tuesday of every month in Mrs. Sheid’s tavern – then a first-rate house in the Trongate – at the hour of seven at night, and that the members were to converse in Gaelic according to their abilities from seven till nine.

Up to the year 1798, the Gaelic Club appears to have held its monthly and anniversary meetings in several locations within Glasgow. After leaving Mrs. Scheid’s, the Club went to Mrs. McDonald’s and continued there until 1794, when it removed to Hemming’s Hotel. It was in the Star Hotel that the anniversary of 1798 took place; and it was at this meeting on the 7th of March that the Gaelic Club was formally dissolved and a new one organized with amended rules and regulations making it a preliminary step to membership into the Highland Society of Glasgow.