Bridge (sometimes referred to as the Shawfield Bridge)
is a low three-arch masonry bridge crossing the River
Clyde on the boundary between Glasgow City and South
Lanarkshire. The bridge connects Bridgeton and
Dalmarnock to the north with Oatlands, Polmadie and
Rutherglen in the south. Built 1893-96 in grey-granite
by Morrison & Mason, the engineers were Crouch & Hogg of
Glasgow. The piers are founded on steel caissons, which
were sunk to the bedrock 18.2m (60 feet) below the
river. This was achieved by men working around the clock
to dig out the river-bed, while contained within a
compressed air chamber, with light provided by candles.
The name of
Rutherglen, as well as its Scots name Ruglen, is
perhaps from Scottish Gaelic An Ruadh-Ghleann,
meaning 'the red valley'. The derivation may also
however be Welsh, or Cumbric and mean "the valley of
Rydderch". Rydderch - pronounced 'rutherch' - 'ruther'
as in 'brother' and 'ch' as in 'loch' - was one of the
most famous kings associated with the Welsh-speaking
kingdom which centered on Dumbarton.